Yesterday this response to a an original blog post by Shane Jansens van Rensburg on his Shane’s Blog, came to the attention of The Con. A quick browse of Shane’s Blog gives a pretty quick idea of the kind of individual we are dealing with. Adverts for companies that print coffee mugs with the old South African flag on them, write ups of what a spectacular success Red October was, you know the type. To add to that it seems some people take old Shane seriously too, he has a book out it seems titled A Land Of Murder & Betrayal: A Hero In A Land That Needed One.

Anyway Shane’s latest contentious blog post is titled WHAT EXACTLY DID WE STEAL FROM YOU??? where he makes all kinds of racist claims that are sorely lacking in accuracy. His followers praised the piece, while Shane refused to approve comments on his blog that are critical of his racist outpourings. It seems Brian E Ebden attempted to respond to this post and the comment was not approved. Under a further blog post three days later titled Death/rape/tourture threats from retarded savages!! Shane claims to have received over 1000 death threats because of the first post.

“Some are upset that I have been deleting their comments on my blog? Well if they actually contained anything of value I might actually have left them there? But your continued vomiting of idle threats and brainless twiddle is just not worth the time it takes to read it so I will save my supporters the nausea of having to sift through it,” Shane writes.

Really Shane or are you afraid someone is going to show you up, by proving how factually incorrect your views are. So we decided to give Brian a platform to publish his response here on The Con.

An “open letter” (sic) to Shane, but more to the commentators on his blog.

Shane, in an attempt to be as crass and reductionist as you clearly are, let me say it in the only language you and your ilk understand. Jong, jy praat nou heeltemal kak! I will begin with your hallucination of ancient gold mines in Africa before I will unpack the rest of your racist garbage.

Africans were mining and using gold when Europeans were still crawling around in caves and eating their meat raw. In fact, it was Africans who educated them on roasting meat and you can find this fact in most anthropological journals that deal with the subject. I’m sure you know many people who say this when ordering a steak, “Luister, trek af sy horings, vee sy gat af en sit hom op my bord”. Back to gold mining Africans (I apologise for deviating); here is just one of the numerous examples of Africans mining gold

An interesting note about this African: “Musa made his pilgrimage to Mecca in 1324, his procession reported to include 60 000 men, 12 000 slaves, who each carried 2kg gold bars, heralds dressed in silks who bore gold staffs, organised horses and handled bags. Musa provided all necessities for the procession, feeding the entire company of men and animals. Also in the train were 80 camels, which varying reports claim carried between 25kg and 150kg of gold dust each. He gave away the gold to the poor he met along his route. Musa not only gave to the cities he passed on the way to Mecca, including Cairo and Medina, but also traded gold for souvenirs.”

I must remind you that gold was mined in Ghana for millennia just before the British murdered most of the Ashanti Kings and stole it. Yes, stole it.

In fact, all Egyptian gold (and here I will remind or teach you that every pyramid cap in Egypt was made of solid gold and was stolen by the French and British. Yes, they stole it.) was mined in northern Sudan or Nubia more than 6 000 years ago. And, of course, the Tswana, Pedi, Shona (of Zimbabwe) and the city of Kilwa Kisiwani in Tanzania worked with and traded in gold hundreds of years before Europeans even knew of the place. The Portuguese rascal Francisco De Almeida burnt down the city twice before my ancestors, the Khoe Khoe clan of Horinghaicona, wiped him out in Table Bay on March 1 1510. You can read all about Kilwa Kisiwani here as it was described as “one of the most beautiful and well constructed towns in the world”.

Perhaps this little titbit about Kilwa would interest you as they traded with places as far away as China long before Marco Polo woke up to a little tent in his pants in the mornings.

Now that we have conclusively settled your idiotic argument that Africans never mined gold in ancient epochs, let’s move on to more interesting subjects you raise, one of which is that blacks never owned land. Here I must agree with you, however, the concept of private land ownership was never a concept in the minds of Africans because the construct was and for the most part still is that those who are alive and live on the land are the custodians of it for future generations. That was always the understanding and, unfortunately, because Europeans, who misunderstood that concept and largely still do, went about murdering hundreds of millions of indigenous peoples across the world to claim ownership of their land. This was after they murdered millions of each other in Europe. So the burning question that needs to be addressed is whether whites stole land from blacks in South Africa. The short and simple answer is yes – an EMPHATIC AND EXCLAMATORY YES. Please excuse my use of CAPS, I guess maybe it will assist in driving home the point to you and your ilk.

Then you rant about money being a “Western concept”. This cannot be further from the truth as the oldest form of currency was found in China in 1000 BCE and after that India and then Turkey. After the occupation of Greece by Xerxes the Great (519-465 BC) of Persia, whites learnt about the issuing of standardised coinage and began to implement this throughout Europe. However, Africans traded in a number of “currencies”, namely cowries shells and barter, but then again you do not have to be a rocket scientist to know this fact. At this point I must admit that I’m gobsmacked at your temerity in claiming that whites where the first people to understand the notion of wealth. Where did you get this idea from? Wealth as a concept is subjective to the owner’s notion of value and never was an exclusive concept of the white man, as you put it. I can point you to Cambodia, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, India, China, Ghana, Nigeria, Peru, Mexico and many other ancient civilizations that perfectly understood this notion long before whites understood that it was hygienic to take a bath more than once a month.

Now, finally to deal with the crux of what you raise in your rant. This is what whites in South Africa exactly stole from us. You stole not only all our land and held it in your possession for 300 years, and during that time your forebears viciously subdued our advancement and benefited richly from the land, but also murdered hundreds of thousands of blacks in the process. That 300-year window of opportunity allowed whites in SA to reap rewards and benefits of unimaginable proportions. More so, the greatest theft was the theft of our minds during this period. In the words of Louis Luyt after the Springboks won the World Cup in 1995: “The All Blacks and Wallabies can never call themselves world champions because we (referring to the Springboks) we never allowed to compete against them.” By way of example, to underscore my statement, in the 20 years after your family relinquished apartheid, (using sport as an example) Hashim Amla, Herschelle Gibbs, Bryan Habana, Baby Jake Matlala and Josia Thugwane have excelled internationally and exceeded the achievements of whites.

Now, imagine for an instant if Hamilton Naki (the man who taught Chris Barnard how to transplant human hearts) was allowed to engage his craft in an egalitarian society? What about people such as Basil d’Oliveira and many like him?

For obvious reasons, I refuse to even consider engaging your stupidly rude comments – “the indigenous people built stone-age dwellings out of dirt and sticks (at best emulating the birds)” and “primitive beings dressed in skins wielding sticks, living in primitive dwellings, dragging their possessions around with them because unlike the rest of the world they had not even discovered the wheel yet”? But I am interested in finding out from what source you are quoting this dithering rubbish? If you claim your source to be Rooi Roos, Kyk or Loslyf then I understand where the kak comes from.

So, Shane, in a nutshell, maybe it’s time that you just get over it and move on.

Link: The Richest Human in All History

32 Responses to “A RESPONSE TO “WHAT EXACTLY DID WE STEAL FROM YOU???” – from Brian E Ebden”

1. Ilse
    November 22, 2013 at 9:40 am #

I love you Brian E Ebden

2. Damian
    November 22, 2013 at 9:40 am #

Thanks for putting that straight. I’m pretty sure that your letter will go over the heads of these inbred racists because it uses historical facts and rational thought – two things racists aren’t good with.

As forced euthanasia is not allowed in our Constitution, it’s probably best just to ignore these lost souls.

3. Glenn
    November 22, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Well done for demolishing the idiotic racist polemic. Interesting that it comes from all over the world, not only here.

These poor lost souls are beyond help – they will pass on, bitter and twisted and leave the world a better place on their passing.

• Rhoda
      November 23, 2013 at 6:57 am #

unfortunately, before they ‘pass on’, they pass on their kak to the next generation who will perpetuate it…
      how to stop that from happening?

4. Mlosh
    November 22, 2013 at 5:29 pm #

This link leads to another responce :

5. Philasande Mashimane
    November 23, 2013 at 5:42 am #

I think what bugged me the most were the comments. I was dustrubed that there were more people that thought like him than I innitilly imagined.

All one needs to do is take a walk through the ground of institutions like Wits university to see how many young people are getting a higher education, so for a bunch of people to sit behind keyboards and call an entire genration idiots, bastrds and savages, is offensive to say the least. Black people may still be on the back foot in SA because of the residual effects of our past, but there is a generation out there that is out to better their lives and the lives of the future generation. Its a work in progress, and it just bothers me that the comments left by those individuals were clearly from the minds of the aloof. Most probably all they knew about what happens in South Africa was from what they see and hear in the media. Are any of them aware of the school kids in the Cape that have made an appeal to service providers to be able to access wikepedia from their cell phones so that they can be able to reserch their school work? Are they aware that there are still school kids in ruralest part if our country that still walk tens of kilometers just to get school? The blogs commentators are so detached from the real average South African and stuck so far back in the past that I feel sorry for their future in this country.

• Justin Kemp
      November 25, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

That’s what freaked me out the most, the amount of idiotic comments praising this guy. Its scary.

• Mampeteng
      November 26, 2013 at 6:58 am #

Thats what got me the most.. that there were people who thought this asshole was actually making sense in the jibberish he was saying…..

6. MRose
    November 23, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

I agree wholeheartedly with the bloggers opinion. However there are just two or three sentences which stung a bit more than they should have – “Luister, trek af sy horings, vee sy gat af en sit hom op my bord”: is this a jab at ALL Afrikaans people, referring to the previous sentence which says that Africans taught the Europeans to cook their meat? The other sentence was “… in the 20 years after your family relinquished apartheid…”: “your family” seems to be another jab at ALL white people (even the many who risked their lives for non-white people during apartheid and those that to this day support those who need it, regardless of colour).

Whilst Shanes blog did have many Afrikaans comments, the blog was written in English. Whilst that doesn’t say anything about the language/culture of Shane et al, I am slightly saddened to find that this article seems to be directed at ‘white Afrikaaners”.

As I have said, I completely agree with the purpose of this message to Shane et al and believe that it was eloquently phrased, and I firmly hope that it doesn’t indeed go over the heads of those who need to see this the most. So please don’t misunderstand when I say that readers (that is ALL South Africans) must not forget that racism is not an attribute of solely white Afrikaaners. Whilst many of them are racist but I have come across just as many racists who were English, Xhosa, Zulu, Muslim, Hundi, white, black, coloured, purple, green and every other shade of our wonderful country.

Keep spreading the love, just don’t forget that stereotyping comes from both sides and so does hate, unfortunately :(

7. Mbonisi
    November 23, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

I’m saddened. I really am. After reading that 1st article, I realised there are people who believe they are entitled to belittling others because of race. If you still believe you have a greater right to anything because of skin pigment compared to the next person then the whole lot of them are dumber than the “Africans” in question. No offence but if it bothers you so much, return from whence thou came from. Return to the “1st world” with your civilisation and your great inventions and outstanding governance. Empty vessels make the loudest noise my “English” teacher taught me, so just go through the garbage you assumed to be factual and rate your stupidity on your own. Africa was beautiful before, Africa is beautiful now. Shane and followers are the ugly we see everyday. Thank you Brian, I learnt something today!

8. Georgina Mutelo
    November 23, 2013 at 9:22 pm #

Thank you so much for setting the record straight. And for being very professional about it.

9. molapo rakaki
    November 25, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Very professional and informative…thank you Mr Brian E Ebden,I must say,when I first read the insult to humanity (black people in particular) I was shocked,disturbed,at a loss for words as to how some people are so blatant about their HATE to want to wipe out an entire race . I wonder if the God they serve condones such. One thing that still gets me upset is the fact that Black people will always be accepting and compationate , live in hope while their young will be infected with hate at birth.

• Langa
      December 20, 2014 at 9:57 pm #

Another thing peoples of Phoenician and European descent keep forgetting is that Alchebulonians know that their genetic recessive due to their lack of melanin. So essentially racism is a system put in place for the preservation of the European genotype. We usually don’t think of them as a minority but globally they are the race with the fewest people. Basically the end of racism is the end of their genotype because when we mix we produce mixed raced babies. I support your opinion man

10. Nairobi
    November 25, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

Very well done.

What i don’t think white people will ever understand is that:how badly the shoe pinches can only be felt by the person wearing it.You cannot tell us how to feel about what happened in the past.

I don’t care about the land , the money and every other material thing that you stole from us.But i will sa this.In some of the meetings that i attend, i always notice how, even when a black person has a thorough understanding of what they are talking about, he/she lacks the confidence to firmly drive it home.That’s what you stole from us.Our sense of dignity and self-esteem.
    You have no idea how painful it is to know that whatever you say in a roomful of people will be looked at last.

11. keitumetse mtolo
    November 25, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

Thanks for this,I was so disturbed by shanes nonsense and more so by his followers.

12. Thabo
    November 25, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

People forget we came from one species. The earliest fossils ever found are from Afrika…the cradle of humankind. It all started in Afrika, but because we documented our history on rock art, etc. it has disappeared with the times (except those passed from generation to generation). The history of certain groups is the one documented in most books, hence it is hard for idiots to understand that Afrikans invented anything.

13. Charles Makua
    November 25, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

After all these latter words and comments from all progressive South African regardless of their race, i believe there is hope for all Mankind.
    God be with you Brain.
    Though i have that heart desire to futher comment, i think i will just dispise the wisdom of your words if i do so.

14. Tebogo Leroma
    November 26, 2013 at 4:13 am #

Brian E Ebden thanks for putting that straight. Am sure wherever Shane is, He regrets things he said on his blog.. l believe that you touched facts he did not know about or just decided to ignore the truth.

15. Mampeteng
    November 26, 2013 at 6:53 am #

Brian… you are God sent! thank you for what you have shared.. in the languange of my people…. Rea leboha (THANK YOU)

16. Lynda
    November 26, 2013 at 11:41 am #

Brian, thank you so much for being professional and responding to Shane’s racist blog so well. He obviously did not do his homework. I was lost for words and shocked at the number of whites who commented on his blog, praising him. This goes to show that we still have a long way to go when it comes to a united and non-racial loving country. I am grateful however that not every white person and not every black person is racist. During apartheid times there were even people like Bram Fischer, Joe Slovo, etc who were totally against black oppression. Once again thank you, Brian.

17. Shirley Inglis
    November 26, 2013 at 3:09 pm #

Yes but where does that leave us? Those that have nor benefited from apartheid, but happen to be white South Africans. Why can’t we all just move on? Why do we have to pay for something that our families had nothing to do with? I am a 29 yr old white south African who has had to work my rear off since the age of 14 and am still trying to Finnish my tertiary education that I have to pay for myself. I have not committed any crime. My family have never treated anyone differently because of their color. But we are put in the same pot as those racist few. It is driving us away from our beloved country that we call home.. :’( injustice returning injustice we are not getting anywhere

• Maite
      November 27, 2013 at 10:45 am #

for the same reason why black youth are paying coz of the legacy of apartheid ,da evils of the past regime da poverty, da mental slavery, family instability, health issues , how black educators were educated and these ppl still remain in our black education system so they still shaping young minds with their apartheid training even if the new government can give them a new curriculum the mindset remains the same and we cant simply make away of the teachers, just to NAME a few ,these r issues or dynamics that we cnt simply “move on” from without fixing these evils enforced on the previously disadvantaged population. you might not had a hand but u and ur family enjoyed da benefits of being first class citizens ur parents and urself enjoy da benefits of quality education, da land u r still occupying dat was stolen with blood, large lands for a few while us in large numbers we were forcibly required to squash with each ada in large numbers in the ghettos huh, our parents forcibly working 4 nothing in hard labour mines, bulding cities, farm work 4 peanuts u do know it was illegal not to have a job hey so da wives were separated from their husbands, had to raise kids by themselves in the homelands, so many fatherless headed homes started here and it has been a social cycle we still face, SO NO WE CANT JUST SIMPLY MOVE ON YOU HAVE 300 YEARS HEADSTART ITS NOT FAIR. there is too many apartheid legacies that I as a 26 years still encounter and have to live with, u enjoy da perks of enjoying ur salary 4 urself while many of us have to fix the evils of apartheid with ours for our parents, grandparents and siblings. So if you think you are suffering you should maybe come on our side for a bit and see y we need our backgrounds to be considered coz unlike u we are striving to make something out of a legacy that was meant to disadvantage me.

18. Tinodiwa
    November 26, 2013 at 6:40 pm #

Well done Brian. Thank you for the response, many of my friends including myself tried to respond on his blog in futility and we were left feeling dejected that his vile words would go unchecked and thus become unshakable truth in the minds of many who will not think. Keep it up, and thank you once again.

19. Msa
    November 26, 2013 at 7:42 pm #

This Shane fellow is a sad fool.How can one commit such rubbish to an entire blog.To the racist scum out there..your 300yrs of exploiting us is OVER!…its done get it and get it good…NEVER AGAIN….thanks Brian for telling this philistine where to get off.

20. Thamu
    November 27, 2013 at 12:48 am #

Facts only. That is the best way to deal with racists. Irrefutable facts. Thank you.

21. Maite
    November 27, 2013 at 11:09 am #

well done to the blogger 4 a non-emotional response but rather very objective which is something I would find difficult hahahaha! Brilliantly presented and delivered! I doubt it could ever change the mind those people it was addressed to but I like the fact that they will know that no one is crumbling under their hate rampages besides them.

22. blackmann
    November 27, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

blackman is worried about racism and he cant see the truth.The blackman can be trained and get degrees but still can never understand how the world works.May be you can mention a successful african country that is run by Africans?if its not civil war then its corruption to Kandlagate to Mugabe.Africans need to open their eyes racism is there but it does matter because we only thing of ourselves not the next generation.Look and black preachers or pastors they get so rich from tithes and offerings.

23. THEBE
    November 28, 2013 at 9:24 pm #

Shane needs to go read more books and get his facts right. He must blame himself and his parents that they gave birth to him. Above all it’s his parents fault that he was born in Africa. So Shane deal with it or pack your bags and go back to your Dutch (Netherlands) maybe they love idiots like and you maybe used to educate kids there about stupidity. You are a perfect example of how a true idiot looks and thinks.

24. Donn Edwards
    November 30, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

I really don’t see the point of either the original post or the response. Can someone please explain to me why Cecil John Rhodes’ obvious greed and flagrant disregard for the rights of Africans and others should affect the way I live my life today?

Should I, as a “white” South African be treated any differently to any other citizen *because of* what CJR and his ilk did in the past? Must I be punished or made to feel guilty because of what he did? I don’t get it.

While it is all well and good identifying racism in Julius Malema or Shane, how do these historical arguments help our country move forward? Political correctness is a great game of semantics, but it doesn’t change hearts or build a nation.

25. President Sea
    December 11, 2013 at 6:33 pm #

Thank you for attempting to protect our honour. However, Shayne did not deserve half the attention he got. His not worth the effort. We’ve come to a point in our country where people like him are truly so irrelevant, the only attention they get is from the type of stunts he pulled. Next time please save your energy. There is still a lot to be done with it, without entertaining the likes of him. :)

26. Hlogi Nkgare
    April 22, 2014 at 12:53 pm #

THANKYOU brian

27. Parisa
    February 21, 2015 at 1:41 pm #

Hello, thank you for this article!

I’d like some help understanding some things and some texts or films to learn from.

Did Persians steal from Africa as the Nas song ‘I Can’ states? Or did the Greeks steal from Persians and Egyptians?

It’s really confusing keeping up with dates, and I’m very new. I’d like to know if Persians were part of the problem, or if they were just around at the same time Greeks took Egyptian philosophy as their own?